Friday, November 8, 2013

On becoming happy

Happiness, the ever elusive state for so many of us. Do you remember in the angst of High School hearing over and over again "I just want to be HAPPY!"? I remember that, I remember feeling that and saying that. Many of us struggle so much with just that one thing that everything else just dulls in comparison. So how do we get there?

One of my favourite musicians, Chris Trapper, has a song called "Happy Where I am", many of his songs provide the soundtrack for my life, but this one especially has always resonated with me. One of the verses goes like this

"It was a sweltering summer day, I mean a mean heat
So I threw my dirty blanket on the city beach
A guy I know invited me on his new yacht
For steak tartar and creme brulee and top shelf scotch
And there were babies crying, loud radios
and castles made of sand
I’m happy where I am "

( www.ChrisTrapper.com )

I always appreciated that type of contentment, that in the midst of the chaos of a public beach he talked of happiness and choosing that over being spoiled on a yacht. How do we get that contentment? That sense of having enough. Why is that concept is hard to put into action for so many of us?

As a life long traveler, I have perfected the art of searching for happiness. No really, I get it. I've lived in more than 40 houses in my life, in 4 different Provinces, 1 Territory and 6 States. I have turned the "Pursuit of Happiness" into a life challenge.

Guess what? It isn't there. I mean in moving. I've done it, I've searched! It wasn't in Washington, it wasn't in Colorado, it wasn't even in Alaska (and if its going to be anywhere it would probably be there!). I've come to conclusion that happiness is not a place or a destination. Its a decision. An every single day decision. Its waking up every morning and saying "Lord, I may not have all I want or be where I want to be, but I have today and that's enough! So thank you" Its knowing, without a shadow of a doubt, that you can choose to be happy no matter what comes your way. I don't want to be Pollyanna about it, it is work, but it is so worth it!

Think for a moment how many blessings you have. You woke up today, that's a great start. You have a roof over your head and apparently an internet connection, those are good things. You have people who love you even if they aren't the people you would have chosen, they're your people and that's ok. You have a purpose, a reason for being here, you make people smile. Those are reasons to be happy. I bet you can think of a dozen more right now too. In your own pursuit of happiness don't bypass that happiness that is in your life now. Cherish what is there now. There is happiness in every day, in the smallest of acts to the really large ones. Don't overlook those! That is where true happiness lies.

Its enough, YOU are enough. Be happy, choose that for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment